I am an author, translator, and storyteller. These interests have converged over the years in what currently occupies me. This site will introduce you to my writings, and how each kind helped me discover the other.
In addition to my fiction and translation projects, I am working on establishing an Urdu language publishing program specializing in children's literature and classics. Some work in this regard has already been done: I founded the publishing house KITAB (2012), launched the Online Urdu Thesaurus (2016), and designed the interactive storytelling and reading initiative STORYKIT Program (2016). These three projects have been integrated in an activity-based learning program for children.
The Merman and the Book of Power: A Qissa is my newest work published by Aleph Book Company in October 2019.
- Fellow, Harvard University South Asia Institute, Spring 2017
- Finalist, Man Asian Literary Prize 2012 for the novel Between Clay and Dust
- Finalist DSC Prize for Literature 2011 for The Story of a Widow
- PEN/Heim Translation Fund Grant 2011 for Hoshruba
- Member Executive Committee, Board of Governors of the Archaeology and Literary Heritage Endowment Fund of the Government of Pakistan
A bibliography of my works follows.
Folktale Retellings in Urdu
پیٹو ریچھ اور شاندار کھچڑی (2019)
بینگن شہزادی (2019)
مٹریا اور پٹریا (2019)
جوں چٹ پٹ (2018)
پودنا اور پودنی (2017)